I know a LOT of people are curious as to how much it actually costs to live on a boat, whether they’re trying to plan their own cruising time & budget, or just because they’re curious as to what living on a boat entails. Of course, the answers are varied and depend on who you are, what is important to you and as they say, “You spend as much as you have!” There is definitely some truth in that.
We are living on a tight budget after our first few months, vehicle breakdowns and then unexpected land costs ate into our cruising budget in a HUGE way. That means that we’re doing without things we’d probably prefer to have… but we decided that doing without some of the creature comforts that we’d like is a small price to pay for getting the opportunity to travel through
- Boat Expenses July through November (Boat shopping, surveys, travel, documentation, etc)
- Boat expenses (Moving Aboard, refit, etc) for November 27th – December 31
- Boat Expenses (Haul Out, etc) January – February 16
- Provisioning Costs for a family of 6 (2-3 months of food and supplies for the Bahamas)
- 1st Month in the Bahamas (February 16 – March 15)
- 2nd Month in the Bahamas (The Exumas) March 16 – April 16
- 3rd Month in the Bahamas (Georgetown) April 17 – May 16
- 4th Month in the Bahamas (Georgetown) May 17 – June 16
- 5th Month in the Bahamas (Georgetown) June 17-July 16
- 6th Month in the Bahamas (Georgetown) plus REPAIRS & Travel Expenses July 17-August 16
- 7th Month in the Bahamas (Georgetown) August 17th – September 16
More Coming soon!