Here on 11 Purple Monkeys, we’ve started to get creative as our provisions start to run low (btw, we only bought 2 months of food when we did our Big Provisioning, not the hopeful 3 months we thought!)
Since this was our first real time provisioning, we of course missed some things, including the fact that my family devours syrup like Buddy the Elf on steroids. That meant that we ended up with a HUGE bag of Costco sized ‘just add water’ pancake mix and no more syrup. Thus, the Cinnamon Streusel Pancake was born:
- 1/4 c. butter/coconut oil
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. oatmeal
- (optional) add up to 1/4 cup of chopped nuts, lessening the oatmeal by 1/2.
- 2-3 tsp cinnamon (to taste)
- Put the pancake batter in as normal *EXCEPT turn the heat down just a little (this is a learning experience that kind of depends on your individual stove, but because the streusel side will burn if cooked too long, you really need the first side to cook nearly all the way before flipping it).
- Once the batter is in the pan, use a spoon or your fingers to sprinkle the streusel mix on top of the raw batter.
- One the edges of the pancake are dry and you start seeing bubbles popping in the middle, flip.
- Cook the second side just until the streusel has a chance to start melting and carmelizing.
- Flip onto a plate and serve… no syrup needed!
These were so good that I even had an occasional pancake. It tasted a lot like coffee cake and made for a nice change from the typical pancakes. I’ll definitely keep these in rotation even when we do have syrup.
- Adding an egg or 2 tsp of baking powder to your pancake batter will make a more cake like texture.
- I always add a dollop of vanilla extract to my pancake batter as well… I LOVE the smell of vanilla.